Friday, August 24, 2007

Done with airplanes, moving on to bikes

I made it in to Milwaukee on time and Steve picked me up at the airport. We headed directly over to Janesville to pick up my rental bike at Kutter Harley Davidson. Now, I'm pretty sure you have all heard of the rain and flooding going on in this area of the country, right? Well......we hit some of that precipitation and it happened to hit right at the dealer when I was picking up my motorcycle. I basically picked out my rain gear, tried it on and left it on for my test ride in the parking lot and the 45 miles back to Steve's house. Thankfully it was daylight, it was warm and it wasn't really heavy rain. In fact, with hole-less rain gear (you may recall in Colorado mine had a hole and I ended up with very wet pants) and the warm weather, it was actually quite enjoyable riding.

Back at Steve's we grabbed some dinner and some last minute necessities at the store. We also checked in with Dad, who left Ohio today and was planning on stopping somewhere Indiana. He called when he "landed" at his stopping place for the day and apparently he had run in to quite a bit of rain. Unfortunately for him, he had left his helmet in Steve's trailer from the last trip, so all he had was a ball cap and sunglasses. Not much protection from the elements :( He didn't get as far as we thought he would due to the weather, so we may be meeting him in Carbondale at the motel tomorrow. He and Steve are mapping out weather and routes over the phone as I type this update.

That's it for today. Pretty uneventful, no pictures, just traveling across the country to get here. My bike seems like it will be comfortable and hold all my gear, so you can't ask for more than that.

We'll check in tomorrow after our first day of riding and let you know how our day went.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wet start! I hope the rest of your trip includes better weather! Suggestion for a meal near Memphis....Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ. Had the chopped pork sandwich at the Memphis airport and it was great! For Kristi, there's a green salad, beans, potato salad and sweet potato pie. Two locations and one is near your overnight stop just south of Memphis. 150 W. Stateline Road, Southaven, Mississippi 38671
662-393-5699. Exit 291 off Rte 55. Head East. Have fun! Love, Mom